For the fourth consecutive year, the world’s largest scuba diver training organisation invites divers of all ages and experience levels to celebrate women and the dive community for its worldwide celebration known as PADI Women’s Dive Day. PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) encourages females around the globe to band together on Saturday, July 21, to safely and confidently explore the underwater world and inspire more women to experience how diving can transform their lives.
There are myriad benefits related to diving but – in celebration of PADI Women’s Dive Day 2018 –here are five unique reasons #PADIWomen love to dive, and ways that scuba diving can empower any woman to challenge the status quo:
- Experience the world from a new perspective – Diving allows you to explore the other 71 percent of the planet covered in water. It provides abundant opportunities to find adventure in uncharted waters, travel to unique destinations, encounter wildlife and interact with cultures you might not otherwise meet. You’ll even experience things right in your own hometown that you never knew were there.
- Secure a much needed “mental health day” – Self-care is essential for overall wellness. Being submerged underwater allows you to experience absolute peace and quiet from outside distractions. If you’re a multitasker and juggle a lot in your life, scuba diving allows you to focus on the here-and-now, escaping the stresses of the topside world.
- Discover a whole new social sphere – Diving is a social sport, allowing you to meet and interact with others who share common interests and a passion for adventure, travel and the underwater world. Whether traveling abroad or seeking a local course, PADI Dive Centres and Resorts make it easy for divers to plan trips together or simply exchange tips, information and great memories.
- Obtain a sense of accomplishment and pride – Each dive leads to personal growth. Whether you’re diving with mantas, participating in your first night dive or exploring a wreck, embracing new experiences builds confidence.
- Advocate for our ocean and our planet – Diving fosters appreciation for the underwater environment and its connection to our life on land. Through dive adventures, you can be exposed to people who can inspire and educate you about aquatic habitats, the importance of preserving them and how you can make a difference.
“PADI Women’s Dive Day has gained impressive global momentum as the largest celebration in diving. We are proud to continue to close the gender gap among certified divers year over year, allowing all adventure-seeking women to fulfil their quest for ocean exploration and discovery,” says Kristin Valette-Wirth, chief marketing and business development officer for PADI Worldwide. “In this fourth year, we remain committed to inspiring and empowering all divers to join us for a day of fun and passion, and to honour the incredible female divers around the world.”
Throughout its history, scuba diving has often been viewed as a male-centric sport, with females historically achieving less than 35 percent of scuba certifications each year. But in the last four years, PADI has witnessed a reduction in the gender gap in dive certifications by nearly four percent. PADI Women’s Dive Day has helped birth a movement of empowerment in the industry by inviting women everywhere to seek diving’s unique gifts of adventure, pride and courage. Since its onset in 2015, PADI Women’s Dive Day has grown from 335 events in 65 countries to nearly 900 events in 85 countries in 2017.
The annual tradition aims to strengthen bonds within the community, encourage more active diving and create more stewards for the ocean through a single day dedicated to community, self-discovery and adventure. PADI Women’s Dive Day also celebrates female divers and organisations making waves in the industry, and provides opportunities for divers to have a positive impact on issues affecting ocean health and dive communities. In 2017, PADI Dive Centers and Resorts hosted a range of activities including dive cruises in Australia and underwater cleanups in Singapore, to fundraisers for female dive scholarships in the U.S. and dive excursions with marine biologists in Italy.
WIN a Beuchat Air Light Bag!!!
For this week’s competition, we’ve teamed up with our good friends at Beuchat to give away an Air Light Bag!
The Air Light Bag from Beuchat is a practical travel bag that takes up minimum storage space.
- Material: 600 denier and 1,000 denier nylon/PVC
- Soft roller bag, easily stored in its mesh bag
- Internal retaining straps
- Zip fastener with eyelets for padlocks
- Side compartment for fins
- Outer document pocket with coated zip and carry strap
- Backpack style straps concealed behind the foam back-plate
- Drainage vents
- Red over-moulded wheels; detachable wheel block
To be in with a chance of winning this awesome prize, all you have to do is answer the following question:
In a recent post on Scubaverse.com (which you can read here), we reported that the Philippines have been recognised as the World’s Leading Dive Destination at the 27th World Travel Awards. In the article it states how many islands make up the Philippines… how many are there?
- A) 7,209
- B) 7,532
- C) 7,641
Answer, A, B or C to the question above:
Quick Scuba Tips #1: How To Prep A New Mask for Scuba Diving (Watch Video)
How To Prep A New Mask for Scuba Diving. Can’t I just take my new mask diving straight out of the box? Well, actually, no. It needs a little work to make it dive ready.
In this, the first in our new scuba diving quick hints and tips series, I’m going to show you how to prepare a new mask for scuba diving with three quick techniques, all aimed at stopping your scuba mask from fogging.
- Here’s a link to that Cressi Mask: https://amzn.to/39EEol5
- Here’s a link to Stream2Sea: https://stream2sea.com/?ref=o-51ln3gn2c
Yes, this link is an affiliate link. Purchases made through these links may earn me a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Dive safe, dive often!
Subscribe here: http://bit.ly/DiversReady
WIN a Beuchat Air Light Bag!!!
For this week’s competition, we’ve teamed up with our good friends at Beuchat to give away an Air Light Bag!...
WIN a Bigblue AL-1200NP Dive Torch!!!
For this week’s competition, we’ve teamed up with our good friends at Liquid Sports to give away a Bigblue AL-1200NP Dive...
WIN a Tovatec T3500S Rechargeable Dive Light!!!
For this week’s competition, we’ve teamed up with our good friends at CPS Partnership to give away a Tovatec T3500S Rechargeable Dive Light...
WIN a Fourth Element Arctic Hoodie!!!
For this week’s competition, we’ve teamed up with our good friends at fourth element to give away one of their NEW Arctic...
Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village is a Bedouin-owned resort with stunning views and a lovely private beach. It is ideal for divers as everything is onsite including the resort's jetty, dive centre and house reef. The warm hospitality makes for a diving holiday like no other. There is an excellent seafood restaurent and beach bar onsite, and with the enormous diversity of the Sharm El Sheikh dive sites and the surrounding areas of the South Sinai, there really is something for every level of diver to enjoy.More Less
- Competitions1 month ago
WIN one of the NEW Momentum M20 Dive Watches!!!
- Competitions4 weeks ago
WIN a Northern Diver NDB5 Holdall Bag!!!
- News2 months ago
SeaLife launches new underwater housing for iPhone
- Gear News1 month ago
Breaking News: Garmin Descent Mk2 & Mk2i Launch & Review (Watch Video)
- Competitions3 months ago
Another chance to WIN a Sharkskin 90L Performance Bag!!!
- Marine Life & Conservation2 months ago
Review: My Octopus Teacher
- Competitions3 months ago
WIN a Sea Dragon Mini 900 Dive Light from SeaLife!!!
- News2 months ago
Escape to Zanzibar this Autumn