Reef-World’s #BlueGreen seminars at DEMA to help dive professionals thrive in a changing world…
Green Fins was showcased for the first time on US soil this time last year, and industry sustainability leaders have demanded more. UK Charity The Reef-World Foundation – the international coordinators of Green Fins – will return to lead a series of seminars at DEMA Show (Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Florida, 13-16 November 2019) to help dive businesses and professionals find ways of seating sustainability at the heart of their business model.
In these seminars – which are sponsored by Fourth Element, Explorer Ventures, Paralenz and Worldwide Dive and Sail International Ltd. and supported by Blue Ocean Network – intel and practical guidance on industry environmental best practice will be shared. All segments of the industry, from dive travel, to dive operations, to dive kit manufactures and training agencies, can play a key role in greening the diving industry value chain. The result will be businesses that attract better staff, reduce costs, protect natural assets, invigorate existing markets, and engage enthusiastic customers who are hungry for more.
Through her work with Green Fins over the past 10 years, Chloe Harvey (Director of Reef-World) has directly worked with diving communities and regulatory bodies in 11 major diving countries to implement environmental standards for diving. She has worked face to face with over 300 dive operators to improve environmental practice, and indirectly with over 600. She has built partnerships with leading diving industry brands to champion sustainability (e.g. PADI, Fourth Element, Six Senses), is affiliated with the UN Environment and a member of the International Coral Reef Initiative. Chloe would like to share tangible examples from businesses around the world who are already embracing Green Fins’ proven methods.
Event Details: 2 Seminar Times to Choose From
The “Unleash Your Potential with Ocean Conscious Business Models” seminars are open to all and will be running at two different time slots during the DEMA Show. Pick a time to come and join the conversation:
- Thursday, November 14, 2019: 9:00 AM – 10:45 AM – Room: W304D, Sponsored by Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Fleet and Fourth Element
- Friday, November 15, 2019: 9:00 AM – 10:45 AM – Room: W304G, Sponsored by Paralenz and Worldwide Dive and Sail International Ltd.
Benefits for Attendees
As the Blue Planet effect continues to drive eco-tourism, consumers are looking for greener alternatives. The seminar series will explain what an ocean-conscious approach is and how this will help businesses across the dive sector thrive; helping you to unlock countless scalable opportunities by giving eco-minded consumers what they want. Attendees will leave knowing: How to plan ocean-conscious dive trips; Where to find manufacturers that are reducing plastic packaging; Who produces innovative green dive gear; How to minimise environmental impact from divers and underwater photographers, and Receive free Green Fins guides.
Unlocking Sustainable Diving Practices through the Green Fins Approach
The seminars, presented by The Reef-World Foundation will teach attendees about Green Fins – a proven conservation management approach spearheaded by The Reef-World Foundation in partnership with the UN Environment Programme, which leads to a measurable reduction in the negative environmental impacts associated with the marine tourism industry – and how dive and snorkel operators can benefit from free Green Fins membership.
Learn What the Competition is Doing
Through real-life examples of what businesses are doing to improve sustainability through Green Fins, attendees will gain priceless competitor insights and learn what works and what doesn’t when facing certain sustainability obstacles.
Free Resources, Support and Take-Aways
Reef-World will be launching the industry led Ocean Conscious Suppliers list, and attendees will be asked to contribute to this shared resource. Attendees will also receive free Green Fins guides to get started on their sustainability journey as well as learning more about networks and initiatives, such as Mission2020, where the industry is rallying together to make faster progress and hold each other accountable.
This seminar series is made possible by the sponsorship of four companies who are already on the sustainable diving pathway and represent different stakeholder groups in the dive and travel industry:
- Fourth Element is innovating dive manufacturing by producing dive gear using ghost fishing nets, biodegradable packaging made from vegetables is leading the latest environmental movement within the industry – Mission2020;
- Explorer Ventures – is working towards the elimination of single-use plastics onboard its Caribbean vessels. It is also helping The Reef-World Foundation establish targeted liveaboard protocols as part of the Green Fins initiative with the hope of improving dive operator and liveaboard environmental policies worldwide;
- Paralenz – Paralenz Group Aps is a Danish tech company dedicated to the Ocean. Together with divers across the globe, they have developed a camera that enable divers to capture and share the state and life of the Ocean as a seamless part of the dive;
- Worldwide Dive and Sail International Ltd. works with partners with similar philosophies, sources local, sustainable products wherever possible, runs reef clean-ups and educates guests about how they can make a difference; for example, by encouraging them to bring eco-friendly toiletries, such as sunscreen and toothpaste.
Can’t Make it?
If you can’t make either of the seminars but are interested in receiving the Green Fins guides and materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. For real-time updates about the show and the latest Green Fins developments from The Reef-World Foundation, you can also follow Reef-World on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and Green Fins on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.