The Federation of Underwater Activities Malta in collaboration with the Ministry of Gozo has announced their 12th International Underwater Photographic Competition.
The first edition of Blue Dolphin of Malta was held back in 1987 at the hosting of the ‘Confederation Mondiale des Activites Subaquatiques’ (CMAS) World Congress in Malta. This was the very first time for Malta (founder member in 1955) to receive such an honour. Competitors came from 42 different countries and the winner was Mr John Christopher Fine, a journalist from New York.
The Blue Dolphin of Malta is an important and renowned event throughout the international diving community. Every edition has been graced by the presence of internationally known personalities like the late Jacques Mayol, Peter Scoones, Pelizzari, Pipin and many others. This year will not be an exception.
The Blue Dolphin of Malta is an excellent opportunity to discover the beauty of the Mediterranean Sea and the marine environment in general. The waters around the Maltese islands are famous for their clear waters, cave and wreck diving.
- What: Blue Dolphin of Malta Underwater International Photographic Competition
- When: Dates: 09 – 11 November 2017
- Where: Location: Gozo, Malta
- Who: Event is open to all underwater photographers internationally
- Why: Because we love diving and Underwater Photography and Gozo is the place to be in the Mediterranean for everything from a shallow dive to a Cave entry at 60m!
Photo Competition Locations
The main two competition dives will be carried out at Gozo diving sites. It all depends on the weather, safety but the choice includes:
- The Blue Hole/ Azure Reef / Inland Sea at Dwejra (Voted 3rd Best Diving Site in the Mediterranean in Diver Magazine)
- Wrecks and Reef at Xatt l-Ahmar (Three wrecks scuttled for Divers, max depth 42m)
- Mgarr ix-Xini (A picturesque small bay at the end of a valley recently used by Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt for their honeymoon and as a backdrop for their film “By the Sea”.
- Xwejni (A nice reef with possibilities of seeing large shoals of Barracuda and from which you can go to the unique Double Arch)
- Ras il-Hobz (One of the best reef dives in Gozo and includes near by a Pinnacle rising from the depths to about 8m from the surface, always full of life)
- Ir-Reqqa (A reef / wall dive with Billinghurst cave being just round the corner)
Visit www.maltadives.com for more info & videos of these dive sites together with updates from their Facebook Page.
- Seahorse Class: Open to photographers using DSLR/Bridge/Mirrorless Cameras
- Nudibranch Class: Open to photographers using Compact Cameras
To be confirmed, but definitely you’ll walk away with something nice!
Dates proposed for foreign participants are between 08 – 12 November and programme outline is as follows
- Wednesday 8 November – Arrivals start and familiarising with local conditions
- Thursday 9 November – Technical Meeting 19:00 – Gozo with Web Link (for Maltese not travelling to Gozo)
- Friday 10 November – Competition AM & PM
- Saturday 11 November – Presentation 18:00 – Gozo with Web Link (for Maltese not in Gozo, early departures)
- Sunday 12 November – Departures
For more information visit www.bluedolphinofmalta.org.mt.